Friday, October 12, 2012

I'm new at this...

This was my first "Bento" lunch that I packed for my boys. My only bento supplies I had where the silicone cups pictured below.  I started making bento lunches for my kids so that they wouldn't have to eat the cafeteria food.  Not that they were complaining about the cafeteria food, but my husband and I decided that we needed to take better control of the food that our boys were eating at school.
Welcome bento boxes! I think it all started when I Googled (yes, Googled is a verb in my vocabulary) "kid lunch ideas" and I started seeing all these cute little bento boxes that moms were making. That struck a chord with me because not only were they so creatively put together, but they were healthy!
Art AND Food... I couldn't think of anything better.
So far we are 28 days into the school year and I'm happy to say that the boys have taken lunch every day. I will occasionally throw in a little fun treat now and then but I try not to over do it.


My First And Sad Bento Box Attempt 
Peanut butter & jelly dinosaur sandwiches on whole wheat bread, turkey deli slices, strawberries, grapes, low fat cheese wedge and Wheat Thins.