Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Serving Others

     Last week I was blessed with the opportunity to help my dear friend from church with her ministry.  She needed help with snacks for the girls, so I signed up.  I wanted to do something special for the girls so I made each of them little bento lunches.  I was so happy to be able to make them for the girls.  I wanted to bless them with a little something to let them know they are loved.
     The opportunity to serve others is always there, no matter how big or how small the need might be.    That is one of our purposes in life: To Serve Others.
     My husband and I completed our Second Step classes at church a few weeks ago.  The classes were focused on what it means to serve and how we serve for the Lord.  One of my favorite parts of our lesson was a chapter from A Purpose Driven Life titled "Accepting Your Assignment".  The chapter talks about how we are to give something back and that we were each created for a special plan by God.
"Before I made you in your mother's womb, I chose you.  
Before you were born, I set you apart for a special work." (Jeremiah 1:5)  
     That right there is already mind blowing.  He KNEW me before I was even created.  I still try to figure out who I am and the only one who truly knows me is God.  He ALREADY had a special plan and purpose for me! Wow.
     The chapter goes on to talk about serving in ministry and serving others and why we sometimes give excuses as to why we can't serve.  He sent His son to die for our sins, so we should honor God and serve him.  "In God's kingdom, you have a place, a purpose, a role, and a function to full."
     My take away from that reading was this:

  • I was CREATED to serve God.  
- God already has plans for us and set up apart to serve
  • I was SAVED to serve God.
- When we become saved, God intends to use us for HIS goals.
  • I am CALLED to serve God.
 - We are FULL TIME Christians in service.  God gave us talents, gifts and abilities to serve Him by helping others.  He can surely take them away as well.
  • I am COMMANDED to serve God. 
- Service is not an option.  To serve and to give is God's 4th purpose for us.  We exercise our spiritual muscles through service.


     God gave us talents, gifts and abilities to use for His glory and to serve others. These little lunches may not seem like much, but to God, no service is to small.  If our hearts are right and it is our desire to serve God, then that is what God honors.

     "For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, 
which God prepared in advance for us to do." ~ Ephesians 2:10


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?